Friday 6 April 2012

Moving house priority: finding places to ride!

So in December, my girlfriend got a new job in Manchester. I am working in Leeds so we needed to move from Wharfedale, to somewhere easily commutable for us both. That was her way of thinking anyway! I saw this as an opportunity to move from somewhere with great riding on my doorstep, to somewhere new with even better riding on my doorstep!

Being an avid reader of Singletrack magazine I have spent the last few years reading about the wonders of Calderdale, but never sampled its trails. I thought it was an ideal location to consider relocating.

Hebden Bridge seemed nice; a lovely, picturesque Yorkshire village with great access to the M62 both ways. So the missus viewed houses, I viewed the trails. She went to the estate agents, I went to the local bike shop - we were both happy!



I fell for Hebden Bridge and we moved here just before Christmas, and since then I have been out riding every other day, whether its covering distance on the abundance of bridleways, or just for an hour long spin in an evening getting as much descending in as possible ;-)

The riding is so unique and unlike other UK terrain that I'd ridden before. Its super steep, very technical and treacherously unforgiving if you get it wrong. Its rocky; covered in moss and slime, rooty and plentiful of mud and leafy mulch.

Did I mention the steps? You can't seem to go anywhere in Hebden Bridge without taking on a stair section.


When I first moved here, I went out with a local for a ride, and he asked me if I had ridden steps before. I naively said yes, I had. Hmm. Turns out my old local steps aren't half as 'steppy' as ones around these parts. Steep, narrow, high drops between them. Believe me, these few pictures don't do them much justice!

No lack of bridleways here!


The whole of Calderdale is littered with criss-crossing bridleways. Local riders describe Hebden Bridge as 'all about the smiles, not the miles'. The Mary Towneley loop and the Pennine bridleway are two of the largest and often link smaller sections. There is plenty of open moorland to explore often leading to singletrack descents.

High Brown Knoll 444m - not bad for 2 miles from my front door!

Moorland bridleway descents

The descents around here are amazing, just a shame most of the climbs are long and arduous!

Not sure why they are, but I like the fact that all of the trails around here have been given names by the locals. Some are fairly self explanatory, such as the Blue Pig, San Francisco and the aptly named Staircase of Death. Others not quite so obvious, like Mmmbop, Midgets Pit and Stannys Drop! I'm not going to elaborate and explain why or where these trails are, but if you ever come to Hebden Bridge, follow your trail senses and you will find them and understand.

Infamous local trail - the Blue Pig


Pecket Well bridleway



Nice little drop off, with a trusting Gareth sat below

So there you have it. This is where I live, and these are my local trails. I couldn't ask for more and It's certainly made relocating easier! My other half is happy with her commute, and I am more than happy with this, and I'm sure you can see why!

Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment